Easy Ouma Bread

Hi everyone!

Welcome back to this week's post! Today I want to share one of the easiest recipes I've made and that is a delicious Ouma Bread! "Ouma" comes from the language Afrikaans and means Grandma in English. 
Ouma Bread is freshly oven-baked bread with a crispy crust and has medium-sized holes throughout the center. I grew up with Ouma Bread, it being my favorite sort of bread ever since I was young.  
Ouma Bread can be enjoyed with savory soups, spicy food, or on its own with butter and sweet apricot jam!

easy ouma bread


ingredients

7 cups flour
4 cups lukewarm water
2 tsp salt
1 packet (10g) instant yeast

method

Grease a flat cast iron pot (smear inside, including the lid, with butter). 
In a large bowl, sift flour and mix with salt and yeast.
Add lukewarm water and mix until all ingredients are combined. 
Pour batter into cast iron pot. Cover the palm of your right hand with oil and even out the batter with your hand. 
Close the pot with greased lid and place the pot under direct sunlight for one hour.
Preheat oven to 180°C and place the pot, without the lid, in the oven.
Bake until golden brown.
Serve in large slices and with butter and/or apricot jam!



My mom and I found this recipe many years ago and we haven't tried another Ouma Bread ever since. I really enjoy eating a slice right after it comes out of the oven, with butter melting on top.
I also love to eat it with spicy lamb or after dinner with sweet jam!

I hope you try this recipe! It's delicious, pairs perfectly with a variety of flavors and once you take a bite, you'll finish about three slices in one sitting!

Thank you for reading today's post! I hope you have a wonderful week ahead, and I'll be back soon with another blog post!

Bye xx









Comments

Popular Posts